Friends of the Rideau
Kingston Mills' Blockhouse

photo by: Ken W. Watson, 1998

One of only four blockhouses constructed along the Rideau, the blockhouse at Kingston Mills, built in 1832, still stands guard today. Inside, the beds are made and the uniforms hung.

It was built to the same dimensions as the blockhouses at Narrows and Newboro, 24 feet (7.3 m) on a side, designed to accommodate 20 men. It has a masonry base, about 3 feet (0.9 m) in thickness, with an upper storey, 28 feet (8.5 m) on a side, built of large squared timbers. Access is by a stairway to the second floor. Over the years, additions were made to the building, but in the late 1960s, these additions were removed and it was restored to its original 1830s appearance.

previous or next photo
previous arrownext arrow

Back to Photo Gallery

photo © Ken W. Watson