|photo left: Parks Canada, 1930, photo right by: Ken W. Watson, 1999
Buildings at Rideau lockstations, originally built for military defence, often housed the lockmasters and their families. Over time, as families grew, these buildings were transformed to make them more comfortable living quarters. This type of transformation was perhaps most dramatic at Newboro, where the blockhouse was tranformed into a farmhouse style of residence. Most of the additions were made in 1888. The blockhouse is the right half of the frame building shown in the left pane photo.
The building was restored to its original blockhouse appearance in 1967-68.