Friends of the Rideau
Sweeney House

photo by: Ken W. Watson, 1999

One of the many stone defensible lockmasters houses along the Rideau, "Sweeney House" at Jones Falls, named after the first lockmaster to occupy this residence, is open to the public with an interpreter to explain how the lockmasters and their families lived back in the 19th century. Built in 1841, it was continously occupied by the acting lockmaster and his family until Lockmaster Alfred Sly left in 1962. In the late 1970s, several additions that had been made to the building were removed, and it was restored to its 1840s appearance.

previous or next photo
previous arrownext arrow

Back to Photo Gallery

photo © Ken W. Watson